Teacher candidates placed in the Costa Rica International School (CRIA), will be exposed to rich teaching and learning principles and practices fine tuned to the needs and abilities of their students and their local Costa Rican communities.
UBC teacher candidates who participate in a CFE in this Costa Rica placements will also have the rare privilege of working with a UBC Faculty Advisor who lives near the school and who will also be working with the school to coordinate the placement.
This 3-week field experience will entail a variety of activities. One major responsibility during your time at CRIA will be to plan, organize and facilitate a sports day for the students. Comfort with working in PE and Outdoor Education contexts is strongly recommended for the secondary opportunity.
- Economy flights from Vancouver to Liberia return: $1,000. – 1200. Canadian Dollars (CDN)
- Travel to/from Liberia Airport to Brasilito return by bus/shuttle: $20.-60. CDN
- Short term volunteer donation of $265. CDN (or 200.00 US). These funds helps both the school’s mission and to cover facility costs while you are visiting.
- 3 weeks of Food: 500. – 800. CDN (depending on how much you eat out at restaurants)
- 3 weeks accommodation : Teacher Candidates are required to arrange their own housing and transportation for the three weeks. The school recommends teacher candidates focus their accommodation search on Brasilito.
It is the teacher candidate’s responsibility to ensure they have the necessary medical/dental coverage and vaccinations in place before leaving for a CFE in Costa Rica.