Teaching practice in Zurich can have many forms and it is up to the teacher candidate to negotiate aims and content with their host teacher. UBC teacher candidates may be involved in:
- Observing lessons,
- Working with individual children or small group,
- Making presentations about yourself, your hobbies, your country,
- Planning, teaching and evaluating lessons or units of work,
- Gaining insight into school activities such as working with parents,
- Gaining knowledge of measures for supporting children with special needs,
- Gaining knowledge of didactic concepts and styles of teaching with a view to contrasting these with what you are accustomed to in Canada,
- Learning information about the school system in the canton of Zurich,
- Doing in depth reflection on your teaching practice,
- Participating in school excursions or school camps.
*All teacher candidates doing a CFE in Zurich are encouraged to model native English, teach English, ESL, EAL classes, and teach content through English.
- Economy flights from Vancouver to Zurich return (Sep 2015): $1,200. – 1500. Canadian dollars (CDN)
- Travel to/from Zurich International to Zurich city return (Sept 2015): $XX. CDN. More info.
- Monthly Rapid Transit Pass for travelling in Zurich Canton, all zones: $235. CDN. More info. (For traveling all around Switzerland teacher candidates are recommended to buy a Swiss travel Pass Flex or Swiss travel Pass Flex Combi. More info. With this pass a teacher candidate may choose 3 up to 15 days within a month (as opposed to paying for the whole month).
- 3 weeks Accommodation: ~$600. – 800. CDN (3-week home-stay; often comes with meals)
- 3 weeks of food: $400-600. CDN
Valid passport, Travel medical and dental insurance required.