Fort Rodd Hill is a coast artillery fort built in the late 1890s to defend Victoria and the Esquimalt Naval Base. The fort includes three gun batteries, underground magazines, command posts, guardhouses, barracks and searchlight emplacements. There are numerous interpretive signs and audio-visual stations, as well as period furnished rooms. Fisgard Lighthouse was built in 1860 as the first permanent lighthouse on Canada's west coast. The former keeper's house now contains exhibits and a video station.
Parks Canada engages audiences with a wide range of formal and informal education and visitor programs at national parks and historic sites across the country. Teacher candidates have the opportunity to help develop, test, deliver and evaluate bilingual education programming at Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site, both new and current. New programming underway is thematically linked to social studies. We invite teacher candidates to discuss their ideas and interests and help create a CFE program that includes their goals and objectives.