The Southeast Kootenay School District is located in the southeast corner of the province of British Columbia. Our region features spectacular mountain scenery, clean lakes, forested hillsides and wide-open spaces. With an approximate population of 36,000 most people live in the communities of Cranbrook, South Country (Baynes Lake, Grasmere, Elko, Galloway and Jaffray), Fernie, Sparwood and Elkford.
The communities and their surrounding areas are supported by resource based industries such as mining, forestry, tourism, along with other small secondary industries. People enjoy the many natural amenities associated with the environment: fishing, hiking, skiing, cycling and golfing. Cranbrook is the home of the College of the Rockies, and the Kootenay Ice Junior hockey team. Fernie is the proud home of one of the fastest growing ski developments in North America: Fernie Alpine Resort.
Experience may include:
- Environmental Education/place-based learning
- Early years/Strongstart/pre-school possibilities
- Transformative learning with our helping teachers of technology
- Physical literacy (lunch hour games/Circus training with middle school PE)
- French immersion/Early French introduction
- Behaviouralist support/intervention in Elementary